Swimming For Air

Sometimes Life Is Finding Time To Breath, Here Is Where You Can Find Some Of My Random Moments...

Sunday, August 14, 2005

In Case You've Been Wondering...

My mom came up to visit and we’ve been very busy taking in all of New England. On Wednesday evening we met up with some of my mom’s friends and went to an Italian restaurant in Winthrop. Winthrop is apparently only a one square mile town surrounded by water so our restaurant was right on the ocean. Note: This was a BYOB establishment so naturally we got hammered and the food was pretty good too.

On Thursday we met up with my mom’s friends again and had lunch / cocktails at a hoity toitie restaurant called Louis Bistro in Copley followed by shopping on Newberry St. We shopped at several stores and saw many interesting things however nothing beats what we learned at Lord & Taylor.

What? What could you possibly learn at Lord & Taylor?!?

I’m glad you asked.

I was looking at a few different Ben Sherman shirts for a gift and I thought some of the wording on them seemed odd. The shirts looked cool, the style was right, but I didn’t quite get what they were referencing. So I called G to ask him what style would be appropriate… and I was rudely interrupted with “It says what? …No way, I’ll explain it to you later.” (He was at work) so I hang up the phone and continue my shopping.

I end up approaching C (mom’s friend) standing with a sales clerk and C proceeds to ask me what happened to the shirts? I stated to both of them that these shirts mean something bad, but I am not sure what it is. The salesclerk is like what shirts? Which ones? We don’t carry anything bad.

Let me first off explain that C is about 60 and very conservative looking. Myself, while not conservative was dressed nice and this guy was also dressed nice in a shirt and tie with some rather cool looking braids.

So I show him the first shirt it has an English crest and says Prince Albert, he’s like that doesn’t mean… he then pauses, looks us straight in the eyes and states that it’s a meaning for a guy who when running where’s a chain attached to his penis…

OK STOP right here I am saying to myself, OMG I am in Lord & Taylor an upscale department store and this guy just says PENIS.

Okay back to the story… He continues his story by telling us about the piercing and why guys would use such a thing. Only to then rings us up for our purchases like it was nothing.

We walk away and C is like, “holy shit I can’t believe he said that” and we both bust out laughing, I knew she wouldn’t be offended, but seriously if he would have stated that to any other person or just the fact that it was a woman and remember in her 60’s. They would have reported him immediately and he would have been fired, remember I didn’t even ask him what they meant he just decided to tell us this whole penis thing.

On Friday we went to Province Town better known as “P” town. We took a ferry to fairy town (hee,hee). If you have ever been you will understand, it is very, very gay. “Not that there’s anything wrong with that.” It’s just in your face gay and very over-the-top. Let me give you a few examples. It was hot, like 100 degrees hot, so hot that most people wouldn’t stand within a foot of each other. But every gay couple made it a point to walk hand in hand and arm in arm, hugging and kissing each other every five feet. Then there were the flags… OMG the flags! It looked like the day after 9/11 with all of the flags everywhere, except these flags were not red white and blue, they were all the pretty colors of the rainbow. Finally, there were all of the specialty stores… enough said. Anyways the beaches were beautiful, specifically Race Beach, I have never seen anything quite like it. It was nothing like the beaches in Florida or California, truly amazing. The water was freaking cold though; you would need a full wetsuit just to get in. Here’s the best part, there were tons of crazy people actually swimming in it like it was 80 degrees. I’m telling you it was maybe 65 degrees at best and I’m not exaggerating.









On Saturday, we vegged by the pool all afternoon. Too much walking can wear a girl out. It was nice and breezy and the pool temp was 78 degrees. Still too chilly for me; I like it like bath water, 85 plus please. For dinner we got dressed up and drove into Cambridge to a pretty cool restaurant called Cuchi Cuchi. I know, interesting name… cootchi cootchi coo always comes to mind, among other things… Anyways it’s a French tapas place and they really glam it up, it’s totally tacky like something out of the 20’s era. The girls wear fancy black dresses with pearls and the guys had open shirts with even fancier layered dangling beads and sparkles. The food was excellent and naturally we ate and drank way too much.

On Sunday we were in 3 different states. We actually drove through New Hampshire to get to Maine just to eat lunch… seriously, but it was really worth it. It was another BYOB and you could also bring other things. So we brought our wine glasses, wine, cheese & crackers and some freshly made Blueberry cake (don’t worry I didn’t make it.) Then we picked out our main course, the reason we drove there… the lobster or as New Englanders say it the lob-sta.
I had 2 lb’s of yum-me-ness while we sat on the water and enjoyed the great views. Then we drove a little bit further North of Kittery to the beaches and dipped our toes in the icy water. Further North still was a lighthouse and an old-fashioned ice cream shop. Of course we had to stop there to sample their goods.




What an absolute great day and a perfect way to end a great long weekend of eating, drinking and spending time with friends and family.

11 Comments:

At 8/15/2005 12:35 AM, Blogger mrs. awesome said...

nice prince albert story...and nice of the guy to explain it. the funny thing is, L n T is a very stodgy store, with traditional roots. they would shit their pants if they knew the sales guy was telling that to people.

sounds like there was a lot of BYOB action this weekend. i am jealous :( so i hope you had one for me (and i know you did!)

is your mom still leaving tues.? i'll def. call you when we hear from the regional on that other tip....

 
At 8/15/2005 12:47 AM, Blogger No-L said...

Grody, you think that's bad, they were also selling the following shirts: Dirty Sanchez (as a mexican restaurant), Rusty Trombone (a jazz shirt) & Donkey Punch (as a fighting shirt). If you are like me aren't sure of the meaning, Google them (be careful, images not g appropriate.)

I definitly drank one for you and probably everyone else I know ;)

Yeah she flys out on Tuesday :(

When do you find out about the the tip?

 
At 8/15/2005 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you guys had fun. Wish I could've been there!

We'll have to talk soon. Life is definitely different these days and we need to get caught up.

 
At 8/15/2005 11:49 AM, Blogger mrs. awesome said...

i can't believe all the dirty references at L n T! and yes, i know what they mean. :)

i think we should hear maybe tomorrow...we hope.

 
At 8/15/2005 5:04 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Wow you've gotta watch out for the L&T in the city. You never know what you are going to find. You know they have the best deals on Coach stuff (if you like that sort of thing) and if you really like this, one of the salesladies in the purse dept will always give you the coupon off the Coach purse!

 
At 8/15/2005 7:41 PM, Blogger Marie said...

Funny story!! LOL
I love the pictures you posted. Wow, it's very pretty there. And it sounds like a really nice time that was spent with your family and friends. :) Good stuff.

 
At 8/15/2005 7:59 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Holy crap! I'm tired just reading this. Sounds like you guys had a great time. Are you for hire as a tour guide?

 
At 8/16/2005 6:31 PM, Blogger L said...

Theres nothing better than spending time with family and friends, eating and drinking. Pictures were great.

 
At 8/16/2005 8:57 PM, Blogger Hoochie Mama said...

Hey! I'm glad you gave me your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine. I hadn't heard from you in a while and I was wondering.

 
At 8/16/2005 10:22 PM, Blogger L said...

Hey No-L in the picture of you by yourself is that man behind you wearing a blue speedo? LOL

 
At 8/16/2005 11:49 PM, Blogger No-L said...

Dara, we are sad that you couldn't be here with us :( I will be home in October so make sure to have at least 1 day saved for me. I miss you and can't wait to catch up.

Grody, I now think less of you for knowing those meanings, I thought I was the dirty girl ;) Did you see that tip from Glittergirl?

Locutus, thanks for the tip on the beach, I will definitly have to check it out.

Glitter, I love Coach, so I will have to go there very soon, thanks a bunch!

Marie, It sounds like I am not the only one out having fun ;) I feel like summer just started and now it's almost over :(

Fred, yes I am extremely tired now, I always need a vacation for my vacation; it should be a mandatory law. As far as a tour guide, depends on how much you are willing to pay ;)

Undr, I will be at your site tomorrow to catch up.

Lilith, glad you could stop by.

Lori, I'm not sure if it is, there were several guys wearing them and I wasn't sure how the had the balls to do it (hee, hee.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home