Swimming For Air

Sometimes Life Is Finding Time To Breath, Here Is Where You Can Find Some Of My Random Moments...

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

True Story

I was reading a posts from Fred and it reminded me of a story:

In my job, I sometimes have to do things I would prefer not to do. I guess in most people’s jobs there are things they don’t like about it. Well the thing that I don’t like to do is fire people, I know Grody hard to believe since I do it so often, so often in fact I have been nicknamed the terminator (which BTW I hate.) Let me explain, I can be considered somewhat of a cleaner, my company sends me to areas to get them back on track which can unfortunately mean firing people. It makes my stomach turn almost every time. I try to help these individuals anyway that I can; I give them coaching, tools and lots of support. Most of the time that works and I end up having a great employee, however there are the ones that, that doesn’t work out. So I have to do the deed, it makes me feel better that I have gone through everything I know to help these people and I try to tell myself that this is their fault and that they are really just firing themselves I have even told them that when they get defensive and try to act like it’s not their fault and they weren’t given a proper chance.

Well on to the reason for my posts:

One time several years ago I had this guy manager that worked for me, he was not very bright, he was what I call an inheritance; meaning I didn’t hire him he came with the area. Well he was a nice guy and meant well, he was just worthless. So really I blame the person who hired him for putting him in a position that this individual could never really succeed at. So anyways I end up putting this individual on a final warning and I have hinted to him rather strongly that he should really consider other opportunities in life, maybe other career options. Which would be the best-case scenario, because he is really not cut out for this type of work.

So I come back to see this individual in a couple of weeks. We start talking and he is so excited to tell me that his girlfriend of just a few months is pregnant and he just bought a brand new car and they were out house hunting. He was so excited to tell me how he had been working hard and felt like things were really coming together.

So I think ok lets see this guy really did not get the hint, of what I was trying to say to him and I am not exactly fluffy about my words in fact most people think I am too direct. So I just don’t understand, where did I go wrong?

The reason I was there BTW was to fire this individual, no matter how much I might like them, I have to put the company first and what is at stake. I am so nervous that this guy might go postal or something… remember he has just told me about all of theses things that are going great in his life.

So I fire him.

He seemed to take it ok and didn’t blame the company or me and didn’t seem to freaked out or anything. It was weird, I almost thought about calling his family, just encase he decides to commit suicide; maybe he was that introvert type of person. I didn’t know what to think. Well anyways life goes on.

So I am back in the area again later on that year when he decides to come in with his brand new baby and his fiancée. I am happy to see that he is well and talk to them both and look at their cute new baby, they introduce this baby to me as No-L… OMG yes they said No-L. I was at a loss for words, which BTW is rare, if you haven’t noticed.

Can you believe it? My name is by no means common and I fired that guy at a crucial time in his life.

10 Comments:

At 8/18/2005 10:39 AM, Blogger mrs. awesome said...

which one was this? was i still there when this happened? i don't remember this story.....maybe his life changed for the better, and getting fired ended up being a positive experience. you just never know. someone who hates you doesn't come show you their child.
terminator. hehehehehehehe. that still makes me laugh.

 
At 8/18/2005 11:57 AM, Blogger Marie said...

Wow, what a story! I, too, have had to fire many folks. It's never pleasant but like you said, it's sometimes absolutely necessary. And nice nickname you got there...the terminator. ;) hehehehe

 
At 8/18/2005 3:16 PM, Blogger Hoochie Mama said...

You have to do what is right for the company. Don't feel bad you tried to help them succeed. That is all that you can do.

 
At 8/18/2005 3:33 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Maybe he admired what you did and it was an excuse to get him out of there and into a career he could succeed at? More likely he just liked your name!

 
At 8/18/2005 3:51 PM, Blogger Susan said...

You must have had a significant impact on him! That's pretty cool actually, eh?

 
At 8/18/2005 7:22 PM, Blogger L said...

What a great story, You probaly helped him more than you realized why else would he name his baby after you. BTW I luv the nickname.

 
At 8/18/2005 8:52 PM, Blogger Fred said...

Wow - I can't say that I met any of the employees I fired who named their child Fred.

LOL on the inheritance employee. I used to move around in the corporation and had plenty of these. Somehow, it was always left to me to clean it up. I guess I had no heart.

I'm happy I'm out of that business. It was a great ride, but teaching is really cool.

 
At 8/18/2005 9:49 PM, Blogger Blake said...

I can't imagine how awkward it must be to fire some one. I mean, there is never an opportune time to get fired. I liked reading about it--and thought that regardless of the fact that stuff was going good for him, you still had to fire him regardless of how chummy ya'll may have been.

And then he sired a kid in your honor. Classic.

Blake

 
At 8/18/2005 11:21 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Great story! You probably gave him the boost he needed to go find something he was successful with.

 
At 8/18/2005 11:37 PM, Blogger No-L said...

Thanks everyone for the nice comments on my story. I do think he found a job more suitable for his level of competency. I believe you have to be very honest with employees even if it's hard to do. You have to tell them their strengths and their areas of opportunities. I always want my supervisor to tell me, so I feel I owe it to each and every one of my employees to tell them where they are at, no matter what.

Plus I agree with Jen, my name is sooooo cool who wouldn't want my name ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home